Friday, February 19, 2010

granny the in-house chef

yesterday. it was so yummy that i asked my granny how she did it. with enthusiasm, she began to tell. and because i asked her to show me when she cooks it next time (an extremely rare request from me cuz i'm not particulary fond of cooking), she decided to make it today.

with my brother video recording the whole thing and me snapping away, the kitchen became at that moment a recording studio of sorts and my granny the in-house chef. i'm not sure if she was aware of what we were up to but it was clear that she was pleased to have her grandchildren
watching her. her actions were fluid, so it goes :

first, mushrooms in water and oil in wok
then, when the oil is somewhat hot, add in the mushrooms and vegetables, stir for some bit
next, add in a sprinkle of tapioca flour
aside, prepare a mixture of pepper, soy sauce and chicken stock bits
back to wok, put in more vegetables and some water
pour the mixture in and stir fry some more
fire off
that's it!
when i told my brother that yesterday's version had a thicker gravy feel, he said "well, just add more tapioca flour". i was dumbfounded. And genuinely impressed.

No comments: